The Koala Recovery Partnership is all about… Partnerships!
Partnerships with the Community, Government, Research Institutions and Corporate Stakeholders.
There are so many ways you can help:
For such an iconic, well-recognised species, there is still so much we don’t know about koalas. Why not Partner with Us to undertake your next research project? With our close links to the Port Macquarie Koala Hospital, our detailed on-ground knowledge, existing high-quality datasets (spatial and numeric) and good relationships with local stakeholders and landholders, we can provide your next research project with a lot of support.
Our key areas of research interest include:
- Genetic population estimates;
- Calculating formal detection rates for different koala survey methods;
- Improved understanding of habitat requirements on the coastal floodplain;
- Fate of released juvenile cohorts into unpopulated areas;
- Fate of released koalas from the Koala Hospital back into urban areas;
- Fate of local koala populations following large-scale developments.
Philanthropic Organisations:Undertaking research, particularly into disease or genetics, is expensive. We do not ask for donations, but welcome opportunities from philanthropic organisations who may be interested in partnering with us and research groups to undertake specific koala research projects (also see above for habitat purchase opportunities).
Got a burning idea on how your community group can help koalas? We would love to hear about it and help where we can. This may be registering your interest for planting day opportunities, community education initiatives, opportunities for citizen science or a completely novel idea! The Koala Smart Program is one example of how the Koala Recovery Partnership has worked with Lions International to make a difference!